Saturday, July 16, 2005

Tabernacle


Here's a picture from the good people over at Bible Places of a life-sized tabernacle replica in Timna Park. Tomorrow, I plan to preach on the tabernacle (if I can organize my thoughts!).

What an amazing part of the Bible!

Today, in my reading and meditation, I have been struck by two seemingly opposing things that the tabernacle teaches: (1) God is present with His people and (2) God is holy and almost completely unapproachable. And of course, that leads me to think about Jesus Christ and what He has done in both being God's presence (John 1:14) and our way into God's holy presence (Hebrews 10:19-22).

The best things I have read on the tabernacle that think theologically (not just "physically" or "spiritually") are Vern Poythress' The Shadow of Christ in the Law of Moses and Peter Enns' The NIV Application Commentary on Exodus (pgs. 506-561). Hopefully, some of their good, clear thinking will come through in my message tomorrow.

0 comments: