Friday, July 25, 2008

“Be not afraid of his sweet, lovely and desirable cross.”

RCO only blogs on Fridays now, but it's worth waiting for.

From today's post:
Let’s be appropriately suspicious of ourselves. Every day we face decisions that require us to die a little. We may find ourselves thinking a very human thought like, “Far be it from me, Lord! This shall never happen to me.” If we set our own preconditions on the Lord, we might hear him say to us, as in fact he said to no one less than the apostle Peter, “You are a stumbling block to me. You do not understand that new life always comes through death. If you want to follow me there, I welcome you to. But you’ll have to pick that cross back up again. Yes, that one. The one you just dropped to the floor.”

The cross is a safe place. In the dying words of the Scottish martyr John Nisbet, “Be not afraid of his sweet, lovely and desirable cross.”
Read the whole thing.

0 comments: