Saturday, September 07, 2013

What a Week!

Whew! What a week this has been.

We kicked it off last Sunday with a joyful party to celebrate the release of Resisting Gossip (photos). It was so fun to give a copy to every family in the church and all of the visitors.  Dave and Deb Almack had a good time with us and went home with a couple dozen fresh eggs.

On Monday, we stood on tiptoes waiting for the book launch and passed the time comparing me with Uncle Si from Duck Dynasty.

Then the big day came! On Tuesday, I got a call from Dave Almack saying, "Happy Resisting Gossip Day!" and the book was officially released. I marked the occasion by remembering how I overwhelmed I was by Ed Welch's affirming words in the foreword--everything I aspire to be and hope the book is.

I was traveling to Pittsburgh on Tuesday for a pastoral visit and to visit some pastors. I got in the car early in the morning, and I didn't think about what time it was when I got in the van and headed out on I-80. I flipped on my radio.....and there was my own voice! I had tuned right into the pre-recorded interview with Dean Christian on WTLR! What a fun surprise!

When I got home from my trip, I was greeted with my favorite meal (porcupine meatballs) and my favorite dessert (texas sheet cake) and a ginormous "Congratulations" sign made by my daughter. Party time!


When we went to bed that night, Heather and I turned to our bed-time Psalm for the day, and it "just-so-happened" to be Psalm 16 which includes one of my favorite things to say about the blessings God has given me:

 LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.
Psalm 16:5-6

The next few days were whirlwinds of pastoral ministry (meetings, visits, sermon-prep, a funeral) while enjoying the "launch week."

Many people that I respect posted short reviews, interviews, endorsements, news stories, and guest posts including:
Resisting Gossip is now available lots of places online (even Wal-Mart.com?!) and some of the booksellers offered it this week at amazing introductory prices:

It's also now available on a growing list of e-book formats.

And it seems that we're just getting started. People are expressing interest in the book (the publisher even air-freighted orders this week to bookstores in the UK and Australia) and in interviews about the book (look for a Q&A at the Biblical Counseling Coalition next week).

Today, as I prepared tomorrow's sermon for Lanse Free Church, I told the Lord again what I said at the very end of the book, "I am especially grateful for my King and Rescuer, the Lord Jesus Christ. May You and Your Father get all the glory."

This week, the boundary lines have indeed fallen for me in pleasant places. Thank you, Lord!



0 comments: