Friday, October 07, 2016

"Expositional Preaching" - A Review for EFCA Now

EFCA Now has published my review of Expositional Preaching: How We Speak God's Word by David Helm.

I used this book last Summer when trying to teach my first ever preaching class at Lanse Free Church.

It’s a lot easier to preach a good sermon than it is to teach someone else how to preach a good sermon. As a solo pastor of a smaller church, I write a new message nearly every week, and after 18 years of sermonizing, I have developed a method that works for me (and I hope, ministers to our church family!). But it’s part of my job description to equip others to do the work of the ministry–not just to do it myself (Ephesians 4:11-12). So, along the way, I need to learn how to raise up other expositors to feed our flock, which is easier said than done.

And as I report in this review, I found Expositional Preaching to be a great resource for doing just that.

0 comments: