Tuesday, May 16, 2017

"Death Comes for the Deconstructionist" Book Review

Death Comes for the DeconstructionistDeath Comes for the Deconstructionist by Daniel Taylor

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I absolutely loved reading this novel.

Death Comes to the Deconstructionist combines all kinds of things I love: detective fiction, first-person narratives of a complex inner life, page-turning stories written in a minor-key, the clash of big ideas, subtleties, literary allusions, unexpected juxtapositions, and the beautiful craftsmanship of good wordsmithing.

Daniel Taylor's writing is kind of like Flannery O'Conner meets Dorothy Sayers meets Leif Enger with a touch of Lewis's Surprised by Joy. Or something. It's hard to describe--which is often a mark of a book I really love.

This book is not for everyone (there are some very dark parts, though carefully executed), but I'm glad that I followed  John Piper's recommendation in this article and borrowed a copy through our wonderful inter-library loan. I'm thinking about buying my own copy so that I can re-read it whenever I want.

0 comments: