Monday, December 31, 2018

Books I Read in 2018

Recently I've been posting my end-of-the-year book lists: my top Christian nonfiction books of 2018, other highly recommended books I read, a special focus on race, racism, and racial reconciliation, and my favorite novels read in 2018.

Today, I'm posting the full list of books I completed* this year:

1. As You Wish by Cary Elwes
2. Repentance and the 21st Century Man by C. John Miller
3. A Theology of Matthew by Charles Quarles [my review, a top book of 2018]
4. The Problem of God by Mark Clark [my review]
6. Big Money by P.G. Wodehouse
6. Under Our Skin by Benjamin Watson [my review, a top book of 2018]
7. Deep Work by Cal Newport [my review]
8. Why We Can’t Wait by Martin Luther King, Jr. [my review]
9. The Clicking of Cuthbert by P.G. Wodehouse
10. Do We Not Bleed? by Daniel Taylor [my review, favorite fiction of 2018]
11. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline [my review]
12. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Samantha Clarke
13. He Who Gives Life by Graham Cole [my review, a top book of 2018]
14. Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass [my review]
15. Forged by Liam Hoffman [my review]
16. Reset by David Murray [my reviewa top book of 2018]
17. The Imperfect Disciple by Jared C. Wilson [my review]
18. A Well-Regulated Militia by Saul Cornell [my review]
19. Destination Unknown by Agatha Christie [my review]
20. A Sacred Sorrow by Michael Card [my review]
21. Camino Island by John Grisham
22. Slavery by Another Name: The Re-Enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to World War II by Douglas A. Blackmon [my review]
23. Those Who Hope by Tim Stafford [my reviewfavorite fiction of 2018]
24. Bill the Conqueror by P.G. Wodehouse
25. The Kingdom of God and the Glory of the Cross by Patrick Schreiner [my review]
26. Rejoicing in Lament by J. Todd Billings [my reviewa top book of 2018]
27. iGen by Jean Twenge [my review]
28. Fallen Into A Pit by Ellis Peters
29. Not Yet Married by Marshall Segal [my review]
30. Death and the Joyful Woman by Ellis Peters
31. The Gospel Comes With a House Key by Rosaria Butterfield [my reviewa top book of 2018]
32. The Lions of Lucerne by Brad Thor
33. Trust and Obey by Michael Youssef
34. Once a Spy by Keith Thomson
35. Money for Nothing by P.G. Wodehouse
36. Same-Sex Attraction and the Church by Ed Shaw [my review]
37. A Higher Loyalty by James Comey
38. A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles [my reviewfavorite fiction of 2018]
39. Flight of a Witch by Ellis Peters
40. All the World’s a Stage by Boris Akunin
41. How to Stop Time by Matt Haig
42. The Sermon on the Mount by D.A. Carson
43. The Sermon on the Mount by Charles Quarles
44. The Sermon on the Mount and Human Flourishing by Jonathan Pennington [a top book of 2018]
45. Podkayne of Mars by Robert A. Heinlein
46. Rules of Civility by Amor Towles
47. The Humans by Matt Haig
48. Spiritual Gifts by Thomas Schreiner
49. The Small Bachelor by P.G. Wodehouse
50. Transgender by Vaughan Roberts
51. Clinch by Zachary Bartels
52. All Saints Day by Zachary Bartels
53. Born Standing Up by Steve Martin
54. Justice: What Is the Right Thing to Do? by Michael Sandel
55. All That Is in God by James Dolezal
56. The Piper on the Mountain by Ellis Peters
57. Grief: Walking with Jesus by Bob Kelleman [my review]
58. Superheroes Can’t Save You by Todd Miles [my review, a top book of 2018]
59. The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
60. Sam the Sudden by P.G. Wodehouse
61. Virgil Wander by Leif Enger [my reviewfavorite fiction of 2018]
62. On Reading Well by Karen Swallow Prior
63. The Irregular by H.B. Lyle
64. None Like Him by Jen Wilkin [my review]
65. Black Is the Colour of My True Love’s Heart by Ellis Peters
66. Wings of Fire by Charles Todd
67. Sleep No More by P.D. James
68. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
69. Busman’s Honeymoon by Dorothy L. Sayers
70. Understanding Baptism by Bobby Jamieson
71. After an Affair: Pursuing Restoration by Michael Gembola
72. Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe


***

* As in previous years, these are books I finished reading in 2018, not the ones I started or the ones I didn't get done. That list would be a LOT longer! I read a bunch of them for escapist fun, a few for/with my family, and a lot of them just to learn and grow. They aren't listed (perfectly) in the order I read them. Some of them I am reading for a second or third time (or more!).

As I say each and every year--I'm not endorsing these books just because they are listed here. Some of them are really good and some are really bad. Most are somewhere in between. Read with discernment.

Here's the article where I explain why I post these.

Lists from previous years:

2017
2016
2015
2014
2013
2012
2011
2010
2009
2008 (first half, second half)
2007 (first half, second half)
2006 (first half, second half)
2005 (first half, second half)

0 comments: