Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Fuddy-Duddies and Fuss-Budgets

My wife recently told some girlfriends that she was born a "fuddy-duddy." She likes to do many things "the old-fashioned way."

When she told me that, I realized that I was born a "fuss-budget." I get too worked up about the wrong things.

This Psalm has recently been a good word for my soul:

My heart is not proud, O LORD, my eyes are not haughty;
I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me.
But I have stilled and quieted my soul;
like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me.
O Israel, put your hope in the LORD both now and forevermore. (Psalm 131, NIV)

David Powlison, in his rich and insightful article Learning Psalm 131 by Heart from the Journal of Biblical Counseling (reprinted in his book Seeing with New Eyes) turns this psalm inside-out:

Self, my heart is proud (I’m absorbed in myself),
and my eyes are haughty (I look down on other people),
and I chase after things too great and too difficult for me.
So of course I’m noisy and restless inside, it comes naturally,
like a hungry infant fussing on his mother’s lap,
like a hungry infant, I’m restless with my demands and worries.
I scatter my hopes onto anything and everybody all the time.


This fuss-budget can relate to that. And I am trying to learn intelligent repentance.

0 comments: