Saturday, August 09, 2008

Dear Frankie

I cry a lot.

As I get older, I'm getting softer, I guess. Last night, Heather and I watched another tear-jerker of a movie, and I got to sobbing about half way through. I didn't mean to, but the movie just toyed with my emotions!

The movie was Dear Frankie [official site, wikipedia article, CT review, Amazon page].

I don't know how to describe it without giving away the plot-twists (there are a number and they're well done). Read the reviews if you like the plot spoiled. It's about truth, lies, love, fear, pain, loneliness, happiness, and most of all father-hunger (one of the main problems of western civilization). It takes place in Scotland (was an indy film) and has understated, yet right-on acting [warning: it's PG13 for abusive language, but it's pretty watchable and not dirty].

Powerful and painful and sweet.

Much recommended, especially for sentimental softies.

2 comments:

This film is one of our favorites. We saw it screened at the Heartland Film Festival (the indy festival in, wait for it, Indy). Absolutely beautiful.

Amy

Oh ho, so you could have warned me...