Sunday, August 31, 2008

Powerful Audio

In my journeys to and around Philadelphia in the last month, I got to listen to some powerful audio recordings:

First, D. A. Carson delivered three addresses at the 2008 Desiring God Conference for Pastors:
  1. The Pastor as Son of the Heavenly Father (MP3)
  2. The Pastor as Son of an Earthly Father (MP3)
  3. The Pastor as Father to His Family and Flock (MP3)
These were even better than I expected (and I had high expectations), and go along with his book about his father.

Second, John Piper's biographical message on the life, ministry, and martyrdom of William Tyndale: Always Singing One Note--A Vernacular Bible (MP3).

I was particularly struck by the historical inaccuracy of a terrific movie we had recently watched--A Man for All Seasons. Piper says to not get our history from movies. After listening to Piper I begin to think that Thomas More didn't love Jesus at all. He burned people who translated the Bible into English--and who even read the Bible in English--and he did it with jocularity. I doubt he was anything like the great man the movie portrayed.

And third, I got to listen to a great series of messages on a theology of marriage, derived from 1 Corinthians 7. These were from Pastor Mike Bullmore (of whom I hope to write a Whence Matt post sometime soon).
  1. Marriage in God’s World (April 13, 2008)
  2. A Oneness That Glorifies God (1 Cor 7:1–7) (April 20, 2008)
  3. Glorifying God in Challenging Marital Situations (1 Cor 7:8–16, 39–40) (April 27, 2008)
  4. To Marry or Not to Marry: Singleness and the Glory of God (Part 1) (May 4, 2008)
  5. To Marry or Not to Marry (Part 2) (May 18, 2008)
In December of 2006, I attempted to make sense of this passage of Scripture and studied for 2 weeks before delivering this message.

These messages from Dr. Bullmore are exactly what I wish I had said then. They are a model of clarity, lucidity, carefulness, and power.

0 comments: