Thursday, June 16, 2011

Teaching Leviticus

Every year at Family Bible Week, I pick a biblical genre, and try to teach our adult class how to understand and apply it to our lives.

2010 Proverbs
2009 Psalms
2008 Epistles
2007 Parables
2006 Gospels

This year, I picked Law, and chose Leviticus as our text.

It's been hard, as I'm probably the least comfortable with this genre of all of the biblical genres except apocalyptic and the least knowledgeable of the contents of Leviticus.

But it's also been good.  I always learn a lot, and I think our students are, too.

I was especially helped by these online resources:

Daring to Delight in Leviticus by Jay Sklar.  Wow!  What a great (re)orientation to the book.

Leviticus: Sacrifice and Sanctification by Bob Deffinbaugh  There are about 15 helpful lecture mansucripts here.

Good books
  (though I don't agree with everything in each one--who could--they don't agree with each other all of the time!):

Leviticus by Louis Goldberg (I had Dr. Goldberg for Pentateuch at MBI).
Leviticus by R.K. Harrison
Notes from The ESV Study Bible and the NIV Study Bible on Leviticus
40 Questions about Christians and Biblical Law by Thomas Schreiner
Be God's Guest: Feasts of Leviticus 23 by Warren Wiersbe
The Shadow of Christ in the Law of Moses by Vern Poythress

0 comments: