Thursday, September 13, 2012

Biblical Training's Introduction to Islam

I miss going to school.

There, I said it.  It probably doesn't surprise anyone who knows me, but I've always enjoyed going back to school--a fresh chance to learn something, to stimulate the old brain, to go places I've never been before. How exciting!  (My kids just shake their heads in disbelief.)

Between my masters degree and starting my doctoral program, I often felt nostalgic and adrift. One of the things I love the most about school is that my teachers tell me what to read. I love to be told what are the best things to read to learn the most about whatever subject we're learning about.

So, I was incredibly excited to learn about biblicaltraining.org, a premier FREE website with online seminary-level courses in Bible, theology, missions, and a whole lot more.

I'm not taking any classes for credit (those days are done for me, I'm pretty sure), but I am taking advantage of the excellent course material.

Right now, I'm systematically listening to the lectures on Introduction to Islam with Dr. Timothy Tennant.  

They are so good! I have been trying to find a decent introduction to Islam for years. Things are either too basic and unhelpful (and mischaracterize Muslims) or way over my head.  Dr. Tennant is genuine expert (with degrees in Islamic studies and missions experience in the Muslim world) and yet communicates in clear, followable prose. I'm learning what Islam truly is, where it comes from, how it differs from Christianity, and how to speak to and reach Muslims for Christ.  I'm not sure exactly how I'll end up using this information, but I am sure glad I'm getting it.  (And did I mention that is FREE?)


I love school.

0 comments: