Saturday, October 06, 2012

Understood Betsy


I am such a big softie.

This morning, Isaac and I just finished reading Understood Betsy together (again).

You might guess from the cover that manly men like Isaac and I wouldn't care for this book.  You'd be wrong.  Understood Betsy is a book about an overprotected girl who unhappily goes to live with some extended family who actually understand what a little girl needs to thrive.

Betsy learns how to do things for herself, how to make friends (and be a true one), how to be a productive member of a family, how to make decisions, etc, and she learns the best way--by doing it. Along the way, she grows up, learning to care for others (not just be cared for) and doesn't want to leave her new home.

I get a lump in my throat every time I read it.

Understood Betsy was the first book I read to the family as a homeschooling dad, so it has a special place in my heart. But it's not just nostalgia--it's good writing. Dorothy Canfield Fisher understands how people tick and knows how to write about it.  I'll read it again soon to whatever kids want to listen to it, and I'm sure I'll choke up at all the right places.

4 comments:

=D

I can't promise to read it to you and your family, Lita, but you're welcome to borrow our copy if you don't have one.

It's a great book.

:-) We have it, but was one of the ones that got passed over at the time. Definitely now in our cozy winter line-up! Thanks for the review.

I'm pretty sure you'll all like it. Let me know!