Saturday, November 23, 2013

Great Commentaries on 1 Samuel

I don't know what I would do without the help of great commentaries!

Here are the three books I'm using each week as I prepare messages for our current sermon series on 1 Samuel.

1 Samuel: Looking on the Heart by Dale Ralph Davis

Each chapter is like a sermon with application questions at the end.  But the analysis is first-class, as well.  Very quotable!

1 & 2 Samuel (NIV Application Commentary) by Bill Arnold

Arnold gives good insights into the text and then bridges over into application.

1, 2 Samuel: An Exegetical and Theological Exposition of Holy Scripture (New American Commentary) by Robert Bergen

I use Bergen to get my answers to my interpretation questions, but he almost always shows me something to share in application, as well.

0 comments: