Friday, December 09, 2016

Book Review: "The Imperfect Pastor"

The Imperfect Pastor: Discovering Joy in Our Limitations through a Daily Apprenticeship with JesusThe Imperfect Pastor: Discovering Joy in Our Limitations through a Daily Apprenticeship with Jesus by Zack Eswine

I did not enjoy this book, but, boy, did I need to read it.

Eswine's message in a nutshell:

"Mark this down, okay? You and I were never meant to repent for not being everywhere for everybody and all at once. You and I are meant to repent because we've tried to be" (pg. 74).

Reading "The Imperfect Pastor" quietly and slowly was an exercise in repentance for me and good medicine. There's nothing wrong with the book. It's so well-written it doesn't even taste like medicine going down. It's just that I'm sick with the disease that the author describes: pride.

Highly recommended for new pastors just learning their craft and for older pastors who have not yet discovered joy in their limitations.


View all my Goodreads reviews

0 comments: