Saturday, December 30, 2023

Books I Read in 2023

Matt’s Books Completed* in 2023:

1. Murder Must Advertise by Dorothy L. Sayers [Lord Peter turned 100 this year!]
2. Running with the Horses by Eugene Peterson
3. Smart Brevity by Jim VandeHei, Mike Allen, and Roy Schwartz
4. The Sea Mystery by Freeman Wills Crofts
5. Golden Ashes by Freeman Wills Crofts
6. Bully Pulpit by Michael J. Kruger [See the EFCA Blog review I coordinated.]
7. The Pit-Prop Syndicate by Freeman Wills Crofts
8. The Nine Tailors by Dorothy L. Sayers [Lord Peter turned 100 this year!]
9. The Message of Jeremiah (The Bible Speaks Today) by Christopher J.H. Wright
10. Jeremiah (Kidner Classic Commentaries) by Derek Kidner
11. Jeremiah (Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries) by R.K. Harrison
12. Jeremiah (Understanding the Bible Commentary Series) by Tremper Longman III
13. Jeremiah: From Sorrow to Hope (Preaching the Word) by Philip Graham Ryken
14. Jeremiah (Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries: 21) by Hetty Lalleman
15. Jeremiah (Focus on the Bible) by Michael Wilcock
16. The Book of Jeremiah (New International Commentary on the Old Testament) by J.A. Thompson
17. The Book of Jeremiah (New International Commentary on the Old Testament) by John Goldingay
18. The Leavenworth Case by Anna K. Green
19. On Getting Out of Bed by Alan Noble [See the EFCA Blog review I coordinated. One of my 2023 Top Books!]
20. The Flourishing Pastor by Tom Nelson
21. The Winners by Fredrik Backman


22. The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman
23. The Man Who Died Twice by Richard Osman
24. The Bullet That Missed by Richard Osman
25. The Loss of the Jane Vosper by Freeman Wills Crofts
26. How It Went by Wendell Berry
27. Crime at Guildford by Freeman Wills Crofts
28. The Last Call by Ann Cleeves
29. The Seat of the Scornful by John Dickson Carr
30. Jumping Jenny by Anthony Berkeley
31. Trinitarian Dogmatics by D. Glenn Butner, Jr. [One of my 2023 Top Books!]
32. The Letters of Dorothy L. Sayers: 1899-1936 edited by Barbara Reynolds [While visiting Oxford!!]
33. Death of a Train by Freeman Wills Crofts
34. The Cornish Coast Murder by John Bude
35. Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers [While visiting Oxford!!] [Lord Peter turned 100 this year!]
36. Murder by the Seaside edited by Cecily Gayford
37. Inspector French and the Starvel Tragedy by Freeman Wills Crofts
38. The Black Spectacles by John Dickson Carr
39. The Letters of Dorothy L. Sayers (1937-1943) edited by Barbara Reynolds [While in London!]
40. Till Death Do Us Part by John Dickson Carr
41. Communion with God by John Owen, abridged by RJK Law
42. Called Back by Hugh Conway
43. Here Lies My Wife by Edmund McGirr

After my sabbatical ended:

44. Is Hell Real? by Dane Ortlund
45. The 39 Steps by John Buchan
46. You Have Arrived At Your Destination by Amor Towles
47. The Many Assassinations of Samir, the Seller of Dreams by Daniel Nayeri
48. Mr. Bowling Buys a Newspaper by Donald Henderson
49. Losing Our Religion by Russell Moore [One of my 2023 Top Books!]
50. The Rasp by Philip Macdonald
51. Busman’s Honeymoon by Dorothy L. Sayers [Lord Peter turned 100 this year!]
52. Barder’s Murder by Edmund McGirr
53. A Murderous Journey: Piron’s Last Case by Edmund McGirr
54. The Last Devil to Die by Richard Osman
55. Sir John Magill’s Last Journey by Freeman Wills Crofts
56. The Prophets and the Apostolic Witness: Reading Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel as Christian Scripture edited by Andrew T. Abernethy, William R. Osborne, and Paul D. Wegner
57. Your Brain’s Not Broken by Tamara Rosier
58. Pastoring Small Towns by Ronnie Martin & Donnie Griggs [One of my 2023 Top Books!]
59. Inspector French and the Box Office Murders by Freeman Wills Crofts
60. Final Acts: Theatrical Mysteries edited by Martin Edwards
61. Embracing Complementarianism by Graham Beynon and Jane Tooher [One of my 2023 Top Books!]
62. The Floating Admiral by the Members of the Detection Club
63. Intentional Interruptions by Jonathan Thomas [This one is out of order as I read it before my sabbatical in pre-pub form but didn't get my own physical copy until I returned. See my endorsement at Christian Focus!]
64. The Christian Standard Bible, M’Cheyne Reading Plan 

---

* As I say every year--these are books I finished reading this year, not the ones I started or the ones I didn't get done. That list would be a lot longer (and kind of depressing)! I read a bunch of them for escapist fun, a few for/with my family, and a lot of them just to learn and grow. They aren't listed (perfectly) in the order I read them. Some of them I am reading for a second or third time (or more!).

And as I also say each and every year--I'm not endorsing these books just because they are listed here. Some of them are really good and some are really bad. Most are somewhere in between. Read with discernment.

Here's the article where I explain why I post these.

Lists from previous years:

2022
2021
2020
2019
2018
2017
2016
2015
2014
2013
2012
2011
2010
2009
2008 (first half, second half)
2007 (first half, second half)
2006 (first half, second half)
2005 (first half, second half)

0 comments: