Friday, July 17, 2015

Re-Reading "Resisting Gossip"

Allison Bies, a Christian and a busy reader from the Chicago area, wrote me this encouraging note this week:
I wanted to connect with you because I just re-read Resisting Gossip, and I was convicted afresh of the power of our words.  Resisting Gossip is on my personal "re-read" list.  I have some Christian books that I read every 1-2 years for reminders, encouragement, and fresh conviction.  God's Word is alive, and His teaching impacts us in fresh was as we find ourselves in different circumstances. 
As I read the book for the second time, I was especially struck by the statement that I do not need to say something just because I think it.  I realize that I have been using careless words lately, feeling justified speaking them without considering their negative impact.  Also, I love how RG consistently brings readers back to the gospel.  Ultimately, we as Christians do not need to be overwhelmed with self-hate or wallow in disappointment since we have the tremendous privilege of access to Christ's power as we apply 1 John 1:9.  I was also reminded about how important our heart condition is, since words flow from our heart (Matthew 12:34).  
Thanks, Allison, for reading, then re-reading my book, but thanks even more for putting what you learned into practice!

0 comments: