Friday, April 24, 2009

Finally Read "The Shack"

Back in July I wrote:
Right now there is a widely popular book out called “The Shack.” And I guess everyone is reading it. It’s supposedly Christian and has helped many people in their faith. I don’t doubt their sincere intentions, but I’m concerned about it.

I haven’t read it yet, I can’t read everything (try as I might), but from what I’ve read about it, it’s a harmful book for the people of God. Beware it.
Well, I finally have had the chance to read it.

It was much better than I expected, but also much worse.

I'd like to say that I could now cautiously recommend it, but I can't. While I think the author sees and feels many things extremely well (and I was moved at points with his clear vision!), he sees other things so poorly and states things so un-biblically at times that I can't recommend that anyone read it except as an exercise in discernment or care for someone who has read it. The immature or hurting should not read it.

I know that it's supposedly "just a novel," but the author is definitely trying to teach with his novel, in the vein of Dostoyevsky, Lewis, Alcorn, etc. And it is not a neutral book. He has an agenda, and it is not biblical.

I don't have time for a full review, perhaps another day.

For today: I say again, "Beware it."

1 comments:

Matt, I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on this. So many people around me are "studying" this novel. I am interested to hear your viewpoint. I have read it and found some parts really insightful and some a little alarming. A conversation for another time...