Friday, January 10, 2014

What Kind of an Old Man I Want to Be

When (if) I grow up someday, I expect I’ll be an old man.

Right now, I’m forty. Statistically, I’m smack-dab in the middle of my productive years. But some day not too far away, I won’t be as spry or as sharp. And when I get there, I have a particular kind of old man that I want to be.

A happy old man from RGB Stock Images
I’ve noticed that old men come in different varieties. I’ve been around a few, and I’ve seen some old-man qualities I want to possess and some that I definitely don’t.

Safe

I don’t want to be a “dirty old man.” Some men aren’t safe to be around. Hide the children. Steer clear if you’re a lady. There’s something “off” about them.

I want to have twinkling eyes and a story to tell. I want to be and seem harmless. I want young people and their parents to feel secure approaching me, spending time with me.

If I’m in a nursing home somewhere someday, I want the nurses to look forward to helping me and not have something to complain about at the end of their day.

Wise

I want to be the old guy that the young guys seek out. I want to have wise answers for their tough questions. I want to be able to say, “I remember a time when I went through that, and this is what God taught me. Maybe it will help you.”

When I was a much younger man I wrote a prayer in the front of my Bible that I would be a wise man some day–so much so that no one would laugh if they ran across that scribbled prayer. I’m still praying it. I hope that some day when I can’t do anything else in ministry that I can still listen to a younger pastor and give him sound counsel.

Generous

There are “takers,” and there are “givers.” I want to be a giver. Not just money, but also time, attention, and credit. I don’t want to be a storyteller so that I can get all of the glory, but so that I can truly help others. I don’t want to be a self-important old man.

I also want to be generous with money. Last Sunday, we had a representative of the Gideons at church who told great stories about charitable old men who fund massive Bible distributions. I don’t want to wait until I’m old to give, but I don’t want to become stingy when I do.

I especially want to be generous with my time. Old men have lots more time than younger men. I don’t want my life to be all about me. I want younger folks to know that they can always help themselves to a generous dose of my clock and calendar.

Happy

Do you see a pattern here?  I don’t want to be cranky or nit-picky. I want to be full of joy and fun to be around.  I don’t want to always have a story about how things were better back in my day, but to be positive about the best things that are going on now and what’s ahead in God’s providence.

Some of the older men in my life are my favorite people.  Someday, I hope to be the favorite person–and not because I’m so exciting, just because I’m a happy old man.

I don’t actually have a particular bad old man in mind as I write this, but I have lots of good examples to draw from. I’m blessed to know some godly old men.

Praiseful

Today I read Psalm 71. That psalmist was worried he might not make it to old age because he was being harassed and persecuted. But if he did live to be old, he wanted to be an old man who had experienced the grace of God and never stopped talking about it.

  • “My mouth is filled with your praise, declaring your splendor all day long.” (v.8)
  • “But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more. My mouth will tell of your righteousness, of your salvation all day long, though I know not its measure.” (Vv.14-15
  • “Since my youth, O God, you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.” (V.17)
  • “Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come.” (V.18)
I want to be an old man with a testimony. One who looks back over a long stretch of walking with God and is full of praise.

I hope that I’ve already started.

0 comments: