Friday, February 23, 2018

Billy Graham (1918-2018)

I'm thankful beyond words for the life and ministry of Billy Graham.

I don't have much to add to the many good words being said all over the place in his memory. Billy Graham's ministry has been an inspiration and a model. The first big paper I did in college was on the impact of his evangelism on believers around the world. I've read one really good biography of him and his autobiography, too. It's hard to overstate his influence.

Here are some good resources for learning more about him this week:

The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association

Check out the photo gallery for a lot of great history!

Christianity Today's Special Issue

Graham founded this magazine and they have wonderful coverage of his life and ministry in this special issue.

Justin Taylor's Memorial at the Gospel Coalition

Riffing off of D.L Moody: “Someday you will read or hear that Billy Graham is dead. Don’t you believe a word of it. I shall be more alive than I am now. I will just have changed my address. I will have gone into the presence of God.”

Reflections from Ed Stetzer

"His impact on modern Global Christianity is unparalleled. And yet His life calling was one of simple obedience. 'My one purpose in life,' Rev. Graham once said, 'is to help people find a personal relationship with God, which, I believe, comes through knowing Christ.'"

A Tribute from John Piper

"While only God can rightly assess the ripple effect of a person’s life in all the ways it has influence, my own judgment would be that Billy Graham’s greatest impact is the eternal difference he made in leading countless persons, from all over the world, out of destruction into everlasting joy and love."

Joe Carter's 9 Things You Should Know

"1. Graham has preached the gospel to more people in live audiences than anyone else in history—nearly 215 million people in more than 185 countries and territories."

An Appreciation by Greg Thornbury

"'An evangelical,' George Marsden once remarked, 'is someone who likes Billy Graham.' If that is the definition, then for today at least, the whole world is evangelical."

Thoughts from Greg Strand

“I thank the Lord for Billy Graham. I am also grateful that the Lord, in His faithfulness, preserved Graham so that he remained faithful to Him in carrying out his call as an evangelist and as evidenced in his commitment to the gospel in proclamation and life.”

Collin Hansen's Collection of a Few of Graham's Regrets

He wasn't perfect, and he'd be the first to tell you that!

Much more can be and is being said. I just add my voice to the chorus of those thanking God for him today.

0 comments: