Monday, May 15, 2006

Prayer Catechism Question #1

Q. What is Christian Prayer?

A. Christian Prayer is personal communication between a Christian and God.

Christian Prayer is not getting God to do what we want. It is talking with God about the whole of our life and concerns and receiving the best answers from God, in God’s timing, and in God’s wisdom. W. Bingham Hunter says, “Prayer is an offering up of our desires to God for things agreeable to His will, in the name of Christ, by the help of His Spirit, with confession of sins, and thankful acknowledgment of His mercies” (From class notes on the “Theology and Ministry of Prayer;” an amalgam of the Westminster Larger & Shorter Catechism answers to the questions on prayer.) Bob Bakke says, “Prayer is essentially communion with God” (The Power of Extraordinary Prayer, pg. 17).

2 comments:

Okay I give up. Wherever did you find this wonderful Prayer Catechism?

Dan,

I think that may be the best compliment I've ever received!

I wrote the prayer catechism for my last D.Min class at Trinity.

I'll send you a copy in the mail of the whole thing.

-Matt