Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Something Is Always Running

Matt Frey:
So my favorite time of year?

The season when “nothing is running.” It’s usually a 14-hour to two day window of time every spring and fall, when the stars are aligned and I need not call upon my furnace for heat or air-conditioning, and there’s enough daylight so that we don’t need to turn lights on until late in the evening…

And except for the occasional shower, load of laundry, and careless flush of a toilet…It seems like nothing is running…

I tell my kids of the rapturous joy I experience on these nights when I go to bed, and listen to…Nothing! No furnace, no air-conditioning, no fans, no lights are on…Nothing is running…

Bliss…The glorious sleep of a cheapskate …I dream of the utility companies paying me…

For a brief moment the other night I was reveling in the sound of nothing running and a serious thought struck.
Read the whole thing.

0 comments: