Monday, May 24, 2010

Lost about LOST

I told my wife yesterday that the finale of LOST was going to be on last night.

She said, "I don't even know what that is."

And even though I have a better idea from some of the things I've read, I don't really know what  LOST was either.  Never seen an episode.  Never really wanted to.

But many many loved it right up to the last show.

Trevin Wax had some Lessons from LOST this morning, and while I don't understand any of the details [being lost about LOST] I thought they sounded like good lessons.

He has a great conclusion:

Why did Lost strike such a chord? Because this desire for meaning and purpose behind our individual stories is very much wired into us as humans. Lost never fully succeeded at satisfactorily tying the stories together into the show’s meta-narrative. But there is one Story that will.
The Christian faith teaches that we are part of a Story that is about Jesus Christ, the King of the universe. The slain Lamb is the conquering king – through whom and for whom our world exists.
Ironically, when we live as if our personal story is at the center of our universe, we struggle to find meaning and significance. But when Christ is at the center and we are pushed to the periphery, it is then – in that place of seeming obscurity and insignificance – that we find true worth and value, by giving glory to the King with whom we can become united through faith.
At the great finale of the history of this world, when the King returns and subdues everything under his feet, when God becomes all in all and sums up everything in Christ, all of this world’s suffering and pain, all of our unanswered questions will be resolved in light of the God who comes to dwell with man and wipe every tear from every eye.
Now that is a finale worth waiting for!

2 comments:

Matt---------LWK put us onto Lost some time ago buying us the 1st year on DVD. We were hooked. It is TV that makes you think! It is a 6 year story of individuals, all flawed, embroiled in faith/reason; good/evil; free will/P Word stuggles they can't understand. Post moderns love stories ... and this is a ggod one of individuals and their relationships to each other and the world. Sort of like ... you know ... real life. Your citation is true ... what is missing is the metanarrative but what a great teaching tool the series is. We all want to project our own philosophies on the story line. That, of course, leads to unending discussion ... again a good thing for building a realtionship to proclaim the Gospel. When I got into this I was encouraged by the favorite author of one of the creators: Walker Percy who himslef was a great story teller of tales or real struggle in the world. I think you would enjoy the series Matt.

wck

Thanks, Bill!

I tried to read some Walker Percy back in my seminary days. Couldn't figure that out, either.

I think I'm a little dense.

Maybe now that I'm a little more seasoned, it might make more sense to me.

Blessings,
-Matt