Monday, April 01, 2013

3 Book Reviews of "The Harbinger" in One Post

At the request of a friend, I read Jonathan Cahn's The Harbinger to give them my opinion of its spiritual value.

One word review:  "Blech."

One sentence review:  "That wasn't the worst book I've ever read, but it is in the running for dishonorable mention."

One paragraph review:  "I'm glad I now know what the hubbub is all about in The Harbinger by Jonathan Cahn, but I wish I could get those 2 hours of my life back. It is a poorly written, ridiculous book with a terrible premise, a travesty of Biblical interpretation, and a shame that it's published by a Christian group. I can't unrecommend it highly enough."


***

Regular readers of Hot Orthodoxy might be surprised at how strongly worded these reviews are. Normally, I try to find something to praise in any book review and to find common ground (and I probably could even here if I tried hard enough). My ire is raised by the (1) fallacious approach to the Bible in this book, undercutting what I do for a living, which is reading the Bible for the author's and the Author's intended meaning and applying it to our lives today and (2) vast numbers of people who are apparently swallowing this stuff whole (750,000 sold?).  God spare us.

***

I wish this was an April Fool's Day trick and the book wasn't really out there.

0 comments: