Wednesday, April 10, 2013

"Please, don't call me 'gay' and don't call me 'ex-gay.""

Allan Edwards is a Christian, a man, a husband, and a pastor. (In that order, he says.)  He also has experienced same-sex attraction since puberty.

Language and identity are so closely connected in general, the heightened nature of this connection in sexual identity makes communicating with people inside and outside the church difficult. There’s another pastor in my community of churches who has reduced all sexual identities outside the covenant of marriage to fornicator and sodomite, just for the sake of simplicity. As a former sodomite, or current one, I’m not sure how broadly he uses the term, I can tell you that his method is not sufficient (or loving for that matter) for the Christian who wants to be a redemptive presence in the life of a anyone who identifies as LGBTQ or anything like it.
He surveys the landscape, giving some informed opinions, and then lands here:
So, what’s my approach to language and identity? I’m a sinner saved by grace. If you’re faith is in Christ, so are you. I can talk about my struggle with same sex attraction, but I’m not going to be identified by that, so please don’t call me gay, ex-gay, oh hay, or stay away. When it comes to identity language and others my advice is simple, ask a person how they want to be identified, don’t be afraid of language that seems foreign to you, but don’t be shy to share the hope you have in your identity in Christ.

4 comments:

Thanks for posting this.

Thanks for sharing your story and wisdom, Allan.

How about we call you bi-sexual since you are attracted to both men and women? You are doing a disservice to all the gay people out there by saying they too can follow your path.

I don't see where he says all gay people can follow his path. Elsewhere he specifically says that the journey is different for every Christian with same-sex attraction, with some choosing celibacy and others (with different understandings and convictions) choosing homosexual partnership. Please listen to what this man is saying and not what you expect him to say.