Friday, February 27, 2015

Not Just Resisting Gossip -- Disciplemaking

It doesn't get seem to get old--I'm still loving to share what the Bible says about resisting gossip with new audiences every single time.

Last night, I had the opportunity to teach again on this topic to a group of college students at Pitt-Johnstown's Protestant Student Ministry. They were a high-energy group with excellent questions. I thoroughly enjoyed the interaction.

It hit me again while reflecting on the evening on the way home with my daughter Robin that one of the reasons I enjoy it so much is that whenever I get to teach, I'm doing more than just talking about how to recognize, resist, and respond to gossip--I'm teaching what it means to be a disciple of Jesus Christ.

I loved that aspect of writing Resisting Gossip, as well. I was able to teach my understanding of sanctification overlayed on the persistent (and often unaddressed) problem of gossip. I got to teach about the nature of sin, the remedy of the gospel, how to resist temptation through trusting in the promises of God, how to confess and repent of sins, how to experience God's cleansing and new victories, how to access the Bible's wisdom, etc, etc, etc.

Last night, I talked with the young adults some about loving our enemies and living out our Lord's golden rule of thumb. That's a good bit more than just answering the question "What, exactly, is gossip?" Of course, it's not less than that, either. It's important to get our hands around the specific questions of gossip, but I think I enjoy it every single time because I get to talk about knowing, trusting, loving, and following Jesus--because that's what it's all about.