Sunday, August 27, 2006

One to Wishlist

My contrarian friend Bill Kriner refuses to answer my book-tag, but he does offer some suggested reading:

For me, Memoirs and Remains of R.M.M’Cheyne by Andrew Bonar is the most influential book. It is a biography of an outstanding Scottish divine who died before his 30th birthday! Yet what he accomplished in God’s Name in his short life is stunning. The book contains a biography, memorials spoken of him at his death, letters written to his parishioners, sermons, sermon outlines, Songs of Zion he wrote and his Bible Reading Calendar. This is a Christian treasure trove. When I am struggling I often return to his letters for comfort and I use them as comfort for others. I look for sermons of his when I have a question on a passage of Scripture. And, the Bible Reading Calendar is used by millions, from public figures I know to spiritual children of mine.

I've used his Bible Reading Calendar, especially in connection with D.A. Carons's For the Love of God books, but I've not read any other M'Cheyne. Sounds like one to wishlist, doesn't it?

0 comments: