Wednesday, May 09, 2018

Book Review: "Fallen Into the Pit" by Ellis Peters

Fallen Into the Pit (Felse, #1)Fallen Into the Pit by Ellis Peters

For my birthday this year, my family bought me a copy of each of the Felse Family Investigations, and I’m reading through them again in order. What a delight!

Reading this masterpiece for probably the fourth time, I’m amazed that Ellis Peters (nom de plume of Edith Pargeter) was seemingly able to create it out of whole cloth. It’s a stunning masterpiece–so hard to believe it was the first of this incredible series. I know that EP had written other good mysteries before this to perfect her craft, but you don’t expect the first in a series to have everything–fascinating characters, unsolvable twisty mystery plot (yet all the clues are there), thoughtful dialogue, hauntingly beautiful English setting–all sprung fully formed like Athena from Zeus’ head.

I wouldn’t want anything changed, and even though I already know what’s going to happen, I can’t wait to read what George, Bunty, and Dominic are going see, say, and do next.


View all my Goodreads reviews.

0 comments: