Sunday, May 20, 2018

Resources for Digging for Wisdom in the Proverbs

Digging for Wisdom is Necessary. Shovels Are Optional.
Miracle Mountain Ranch
My boys and I just got back from Miracle Mountain Ranch's 2018 Father/Son Retreat. We had a great time at "Man Camp" where they shoot stuff, eat stuff, ride horses, and study our Bibles together. The folks at MMR do a wonderful job of putting a classy event each year.

I had the privilege of speaking 3 times on "Digging for Wisdom in the Proverbs," and I showed the guys how I use the Proverbs each week to uncover treasures of wisdom in our Youth Boys' Class at Family Bible Night. I believe that Proverbs are written as they are as a divine gift, especially to fathers, to disciple their sons. I was encouraged to hear from several of the dads that they are going to begin studying Proverbs together with their sons after learning how this weekend.

I promised the guys a list of some of the best resources out there on the Proverbs, so here it is:

1. Pass It On: A Proverbs Journal for the Next Generation. This unique resource was created by my friend Champ Thornton for Dads to dig into the Proverbs themselves and then transfer what they've learned to their children. The introduction itself, "A Bird's-Eye View of the Proverbs" is worth the price of the book--and right now you can get it for free by downloading the samples at Westminster Bookstore!.

2. After Thornton, the next level book I'd recommend is Derek Kidner's commentary on Proverbs. Every time I teach on Proverbs, I consult Kidner's precise, concise, and incisive words.

3. I first learned how the Proverbs worked by taking a class from Ray Ortlund at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. In his commentary, Dr. Ortlund gives a master class in both understanding and applying the message of the book.

4. When I was writing Resisting Gossip, my constant companion at my right hand was Bruce Waltke's magisterial two volume commentary on the Proverbs. I probably quoted Dr. Waltke (one of the translators of the original NIV including the Proverbs) more than any other commentator for my doctoral project. As I told the guys this weekend, if your pastor doesn't have it already, then splurge and buy him volume one or volume two ... or both!

5. And if you are an audio learner, Dr. Waltke has recorded a series of lectures available for free at Biblical Training. This is top-shelf stuff.

Ok. No excuses now. The resources are all there. Let's get digging.

0 comments: