Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Winston Smith on "Resisting Gossip"

Winston Smith of CCEF (not to be confused with Winston Smith of Orwell's 1984) was my doctoral adviser at Westminster for the "Resisting Gossip" D.Min project that spawned Resisting Gossip: Winning the War of the Wagging Tongue.

Winston was always very encouraging and kept his evaluative comments short and grace-filled. Therefore, on those few occasions when he had a word of correction or something to suggest that I really should add, I always took it seriously. Winston has a way of perceiving things that isn't stereotyped, usual, or status quo. He is insightful and creative and has written many helpful books and articles. He's also very funny. A highlight of the CCEF Conference last year was his performance as emcee.

Because of my high respect for him, I was very encouraged to receive his endorsement for Resisting Gossip:
“Gossip is such a pervasive and insidious problem it’s amazing that there are so few resources to help churches deal with its destructive power. Matt's book is an incredibly useful tool that I expect to have wide impact in dealing with the problem of gossip. It is thoroughly biblical, loaded with wisdom, and immensely practical. Just as important, it is written in an engaging and accessible style. I can't recommend it more highly.” – Winston T. Smith

0 comments: