Friday, December 14, 2012

Sam Crabtree and Resisting Gossip

Sam Crabtree is the executive pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church and the author of one of the best books I read in 2011, Practicing Affirmation: God-Centered Praise of Those Who Are Not God.

I came across Sam's book at just the right moment last year when I was writing my book on gossip. Practicing affirmation is the polar opposite of gossip, and Sam's approach to godly speech was just what I needed to read at that point in my research. More than that, his winsome writer's voice also jumped out to me as something to emulate.

So, I was very encouraged yesterday to receive Sam's endorsement blurb for Resisting Gossip.
Jesus never gossiped. The one who loves me and gave himself for me wants me to do battle in my heart, and one of the intense battlefronts is gossip. With this book Mitchell aims to help me win that war with gospel power. Along the way he strategizes about the “principle of overflow,” “pray and weigh,” and five types of gossip that show me that though I may not think I have a gossipy heart in one sense, I might in another sense. This book aims at helping the reader repay evil with good.
By the way, Sam practices what he preaches.  Each of his email interactions with me was full of upbuilding grace--including a list of 10 points of sharpening feedback on the manuscript that he passed back to me.

Thank you, Sam!

0 comments: