Monday, December 17, 2012

Blogs I Read: Michael Wallenmeyer

Michael Wallenmeyer and I were classmates at both Moody and Trinity but never friends until we both ended up at pastors in the EFCA.

Michael pastors Mt. Laurel Evangelical Free Church in New Jersey and blogs at MichaelWallenmeyer.com.

I like his blog because Mike is not afraid to say what he thinks--and what he thinks about is Jesus and the mission He has given us, especially to those whom God has planted in a suburban context.
I love talking about the mission of God in a suburban context, but it’s definitely time to branch out a bit. On this new site topics will include the gospel in everyday life, messy community, the mission of God, my love affair with books, and last but not least upside down leadership–I am saying goodbye to a non-biblical leadership that pretends to have it all together. Make no mistake about it, this blog functions as therapy for me and through it I hope you are blessed and encouraged.
Recently, Michael has started a new series on his blog called "77 Things Jesus Never Said."  It's one part satire, and one part devotional reading (just written upside down).

Here's what he said about the holidays:

"Number 5: The holiday season is right around the corner and here is how I want you to celebrate my incarnation. Stress your family out with busyness, eat and drink way too much and accumulate as much debt as humanly possible. These activities will function as a signpost to my kingdom."

Ouch.

Michael's idea is to step on toes--not for the fun of stomping on little painful digits--but for waking us up to Kingdom realities. He normally gets a chuckle out of me and a tiny little course-correction to remind me what I'm supposed to be doing as an ambassador of Jesus Christ in the realm God has me.