Thursday, February 28, 2013

Grieving With Hope


The timing feels very fitting for this post because today is Heather's mum's birthday, and three years ago this week we found out she had terminal cancer.

At our house, we've proclaimed Nana's Birthday as a holiday from school, and we're celebrating her life and loves.

Today, I'm trying to live out some of what I've learned:
My biggest takeaway from Grieving with Hope, which is still bearing fruit in our ongoing grief, is the insight that grief is an expression of love. The authors quote Zig Ziglar: “Grief is the recognition that you’ve lost someone you love. It’s the price you pay for loving someone, because if there were no love, there’d be no grief” (p. 19). 
I suppose that’s fairly obvious, but I keep coming back to it. It is right to grieve! Jesus did it, and so should we (John 11:35). If we don’t hurt that we’ve lost someone we love, did we really love them?  I’m glad that it still hurts two years later that Heather’s Mum is no longer with us. That’s a measure of our love for her.
This book is very helpful, and I recommend it to others, because everyone experiences grief.

0 comments: