Monday, March 25, 2013

Commentaries on 1 John

I enjoyed preaching 1 John over the last 19 weeks, but following John's train of thought was not easy. It was more of a race-car-of-thought.

The three commentaries that helped me the most were:

1. Robert W. Yarbrough's 1-3 John in the Baker Exegetical Commentary Series.

Yarbrough was thorough, knowledgeable, and irenic yet decisive on interpretation. Very scholarly. Top scholarship.

2. John Stott's The Epistles of John in the Tyndale New Testament Commentary Series.

Stott is always judicious, thoughtful, learned, and quotable.

3. I.H. Marshall's The Epistles of John in the New International Commentary on the New Testament Series.

I've had this commentary in my possession since 1996. Marshall is a masterful commentator. I don't always agree with him, but I always profit from reading his work.

In audio, my understanding was greatly enlarged by listening to D.A. Carson's overview of 1 John.

2 comments:

What do you think of Stott's discussion of the literary shape of I John. The repetition and development of three themes.

I think it is wise. I don't remember everything Stott said, but it definitely shaped my messages. I came back to those three themes (doctrinal, moral, social) again and again.